Diploma in Dialysis Therapy (DDT)
About The Course...
The course is designed to prepare students to administer haemodialysis treatment for patients with end stage renal diseases cooperated by a nurse under the supervision of a physician.
Students shall be provided with the fundamental knowledge of structures, functions, assessment of functions of kidneys and urinary system, general Biochemistry and Microbiology in relation to human body. They have to gain knowledge on pathology, clinical manifestations, complications and general treatment of diseases of kidneys and the urinary system.
Students shall gain knowledge on the concepts and principles related to dialysis, components of dialysis apparatus, dialysis indications and contraindications. Students shall be exposed to haemodialysis unit design, various haemodialysis personnel job responsibilities and procedures. He/ she shall also be trained for patient assessment and professional ethics regarding patient communication and handling.
Students shall be trained for patient assessment, procedures related with renal dialysis, pre and post renal transplantation evaluation, nutrition in acute and chronic kidney diseases, safety and sanitation, emergency interventions, and professional standards and ethics.
Year 1 or Year 2
Once per Year
Year 1 (Foundation Course)
One Year foundation course for students who passed the matriculation exam. (10th grade)
- Human Biology
- Medical Terminology
- Fundamentals of Computer
- Behavioral and Social Science
Year 3 (Diploma Level)
- Haemodialysis II
- Peritoneal dialysis II
- Dialysis patient care and education
- Dialysis therapy practicum III
- Continuous renal replacement therapy
- Extracorporeal blood therapies for non-renal cases
- Introduction to renal transplantation
- Dialysis therapy practicum IV
- Behavioral and Social Science V
Professional Scope for Dialysis Therapy Technologist
- Technologists for renal dialysis unit/ department in specialist hospitals and medical centres.
- Technologists in renal dialysis centres.
- Manager in renal dialysis centres.
- Quality control manager in dialysis machine manufacturing company.
- Academicians in renal dialysis technology courses.
- Research Scientist in renal dialysis technology and related fields.
Resource Personnel for Health Sciences Technology Courses
Professors, Associate Professors and Senior Lecturers (Medical Doctors) in Myanmar.
Associate Professors and Assistant Professors of Manipal College of Health Professions (MCHP), MAHE, Manipal, India
Skill Training for Health Sciences Technology Courses
SML Medical and Diagnostic Centre
SML Renal Dialysis Centre
Manipal College of Health Professions (MCHP), MAHE, Manipal, India
Learning / Teaching Methods
- Interactive lectures
- Small group discussions
- Problem- based Learning
- Team- based Learning
- Project -based Learning
- Demonstration and Practical sessions
- Skill Training
- SML Medical and Diagnostic Centre
- SML Advanced Medical Laboratory
- SML Renal Dialysis Centre
- Renal dialysis unit/ department in specialist hospitals and medical centres
- Dialysis machine manufacturing company
- Research Scientist in renal dialysis technology and related fields
- Research centres